Sunday, September 27, 2009

Labor Day




I'm trying to catch up a bit....
We had a really fun Labor Day weekend with friends and family. Deidre's family (a friend I grew up with in Utah who used to live in Lodi before we moved here and had the same group of friends we do now) came to visit this week, so we had everybody over for a pool party on Saturday evening. There was lots of food, we watched BYU beat Oklahoma (yeah!), and the kids swam from 4:00-9:00-they had a blast! We brought out the chocolate fountain, but it was windy and it blew the chocolate everywhere, so we had to turn the spinner off and declare it a fondue pot instead-no one seemed to care. :)

Sunday, we went to Mel's because it had been more than a week since I'd held baby Tess. We had Mel's "Eat your heart out Chevy's" bbq chicken quesadillas and brownie sundaes. The kids did a couple of extremely amateur productions for us and I wore Tess out doing baby exercises- I had to make sure she could touch her nose with her toes! But did she laugh? She didn't even smile. Maybe next visit.

Monday, we went with the same group of friends to Lake Hogan about 40 minutes away where one family has a lake house-a small barn turned into a lodge type thing. 2 of them have boats, so the dads and all the kids went out on the boat all day while the moms sat on the shaded porch and talked. We didn't plan it that way, it just happened. :) I had every intention of getting on the boat and skiing, but they were gone so long with the kids, by the time they were done, the wind picked up, and I don't ski in waves!!! And I was really the only one who was interested, so I didn't want to make anyone go out again just for me. So alas, I have gone all summer not only not skiing, but not even stepping foot in a boat. BUT, all my kids, well except Carter, took a turn trying some new tricks behind the boat. Morgan did the knee board, I guess she's probably done that before, but I've never seen her. Zach tried his darndest to get up on the wakeboard (that's all these kids here do, no skiing, just wakeboarding), but after several attempts, got tired and frustrated and gave up, and Abby did the horseshoe ski!!!! 3 times!! Our friends got it on video, but I can't figure out how to save it to my computer to put in on here, sorry. These friends do a cute thing. When they go out on the boat, the kids have to try something new to get on the "treat train". And then at the end of the day, up at the barn, they have an awards ceremony, and they tell what each kid did or tried, and they get to pick a full size candy bar from the box. Pretty cute, huh? So, my kids all got on the "treat train", and they were pretty pleased with themselves.

No comments: