
So my sister Allison and I have really gotten into tennis the last couple of years. I used to watch Agassi and Sampras play with my parents growing up, but in the last 5-6 years, I've followed the grand slams pretty diligently. For that same amount of time I've had at the top of my "bucket list": Take tennis lessons. I see people playing at the gym all the time, young and old, and I think, "I can do that!" I bought a tennis racket last spring and went over to what I thought was lessons at the club, but I misunderstood the flyer and was turned away disappointed (and a little embarassed). So, I shelved the racket and said I'd come back to it. Well, this year the US Open was really exciting to watch, so many upsets and nail biting matches. I stayed up way too many late nights catching up on all of them. So, Allison and I said, "OK, we're learning how to play tennis and next year, we're going to New York for the US Open!"
Well, she knows a ex-pro tennis player. He offered to give her lessons, and I said, "Can I get in on that?" So yesterday, I met them in Elk Grove and played for over 2 hours. It was so fun!! He's a great teacher, patient, but fun, and definitely knows what he's doing. My forearm and shoulder are killing me today, but hopefully it won't last too long. It's a lot harder than it looks. There's more than just hitting the ball with the racket. So it'll definitely take some practice, but I'm excited.
So I'm pretty sure I'll have to rob a bank to pay for tickets to the Open for next year, but in the mean time, I'm setting aside some money every month and see how I do. And Allison-the only way you're getting out of this is if you're getting married that week! :)
1 comment:
Callie-I am so dang excited to hear you're wanting to play tennis!!! I would love to hit with you anytime and the group of ladies that I play with are wonderful. You should call me this week!
Post a Comment