Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Happy Birthday to an AWESOME Dad!

Nathan turned 35 today. His parents reminded us that he had a difficult time taking his first breaths when he was born-we all agreed we were really glad he finally did!! (Funny, he's been long winded ever since. :) Sorry honey, couldn't help it!) Anyway, I tried to think of something fun and different to do for his birthday dinner, and I was talking to my friend Lisa last week and she told me they made their own sushi rolls for dinner one night and it hit me: A Korean-ish dinner! So I went to a Asian market in Stockton and got some seaweed, korean marinade, korean noodles, and kim-chee. We made our own California-style sushi rolls and it was surprisingly easy and the kids really liked it. It was just fun and different. And Abby and Carter had a great time with the decorations-I think Abby taped up crepe paper for 2 hours.


And then, I found a new chocolate souffle recipe and thought I'd give it a try. It didn't come out of the pan too well and looked horrible, but hey, it was chocolate gooeyness, can't really go wrong there.
He added to our Rock Band ensemble and got another mic and a keyboard. So, looks like we need to have another Rock Band Party....

2 comments:

The Coles said...

Really? 35? That's crazy!! We were talking about sushi the other day and how it's just not us:) I hope you guys liked it!! Maybe if I made my own I might like it better cuz I would know everything I put in it. How did you get your "happy birthday" to look like that? It looks like powdered sugar. Do you have a mold or something?

Callie said...

Yep, it's a template thing I bought from Pampered Chef a while ago. The cake clearly was not frostable. :) So, I sprinkled powdered sugar over the stencil and well, at least it had something on it. :) Actually, we really like sushi. The more kinds I try, the more I like. The one we made was pretty bland, then you douse it in soy sauce, and voila! We'll have to try it together sometime.