Sunday, October 26, 2008

NEVER, say Never!

Allison, Me, and Nathan after the race
Allison declaring her conquest!
"Check me out! I did THAT too!"

So, I did something yesterday that I didn't think I'd ever do: run a 5K race. Nathan has, of course, been training in running the last few years as he's been doing triathlons, but I've always said, "Good for you, but I am NOT a runner." I've hated running my whole life. I wouldn't do soccer as a kid because I hated to run. I was only on the track team in Jr. High because it was a winning team, most of my friends were on it, and it got me out of more school, but I hated every day of practice! And that would have been the last time that I ever really "ran". I'm pretty sure I've never run more than a mile at one time in my whole life! Well, for some reason, I started running the last few months. A couple of friends at the gym were doing it, and I was getting bored with the elliptical machine, and I wasn't really seeing any results in size or shape, so I thought, ok, I'll see if I can run a 1/2 mile or so every once in a while and see if I notice any changes. So, I started doing that, but it hurt my back pretty bad, so I stopped. Then Nathan suggested that I get some real running shoes from a running store-they're totally different than what you can get in regular stores. So, I got some shiny new special running shoes and what do you know? My back doesn't hurt anymore. So, I've gradually started running more and more at a time. When Nathan signed up to do the 10K, he was asking all sorts of people if they wanted to join him, so I said, "Hey, I'll do it." I asked Allison to run with me, because there'd be no way I could run by myself, but she had play practice, so she couldn't . Well, she called this week and said practice got cancelled, and did I still want to do it? Well, I ran 2.5 miles straight on Wed and was feeling like a superstar so I said, "Let's do it!" And we did! 5K is equivalent to 3.2 miles, so by far the furthest distance I've ever run. We did it in just over 35 minutes, so record time for me, but I'm quite sure that if Allison wasn't running with me pushing me a little, I might have taken 3-4 hours to finish. :) So, thanks Allison for doing it with me! It was actually her first official race too, even though she's been running for a while now. And thanks Nathan for being a good example to our family and for encouraging me and being so proud of his wife for joining him. Next time, we hope to have the kids run the 1/2 mile race. Oh, and p.s. I'm in quite a bit of pain, but hey, I did it!!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Way to go! I am seriously impressed and wish I would have joined you, but I never would have made it through.:)

April Perry said...

I'm glad you have a blog! Hooray for Callie's 5K. You look great!